Would you describe yourself as genuinely happy most days? If not, you may be like the millions of people who are waiting around for happiness to knock on their door. However, our happiness lies within and we are each responsible for assessing and creating our own happiness. Remember, you deserve to be happy. Everyone does. No matter what your age, race, gender, job, hobbies, accomplishments or any other factor you can imagine—you are a wonderful person deserving of happiness.
So how can happiness be achieved?
First, make sure you understand what will make you happy. Each person has a unique set of requirements and definitions of what happiness truly is.
You can’t base your happiness off of what other people determine it means or what will make them happy. Instead, look within and ask what it is you need and want. If you’re having trouble getting started, try these tips for creating happiness in your life:
• Set goals and work to achieve them. Write down a goal and work each day—even if it’s just for a few minutes—to achieve that goal.
• Surround yourself with happy, healthy and positive people. Their positive outlooks on life will likely rub off on you. You are the company you keep.
• When something bad happens, figure out what happened and work to avoid it in the future. Instead of dwelling on the negative, take control of the situation even if it means assessing and preparing so it is less likely to happen in the future. And if it does? Repeat the process.
• Spend a few minutes each day relaxing. Whether you like yoga or just reading a great book in your favorite chair, make sure to take time to reduce stress.
• Do things that you love. Who cares if others find them silly? Even if you have a hobby that others find dorky, make sure to make time to do them.
• Think positively. Once you put out positive thoughts into the universe, you’ll find that things aren’t so bad.
• Laugh. Find a funny show or listen to a funny podcast. Do whatever it takes but always laugh. This includes laughing at yourself.
• Stay healthy. Eat right and exercise because they will both have huge impacts on your mood and physical well-being.
• List the reasons you feel you deserve to be happy. This should be a long list. It may be difficult at first but list all of the reasons you’re great and then read the list twice.
• Give yourself a break. Don’t beat yourself up. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes.
• Count your blessings and thank those around you. Once you start trying to think of all of the reasons you have it so well, you’ll start to forget the little reasons you seem unhappy.
• Try new things and explore new passions. Don’t be afraid to try something new because you’ll never know what the future holds.
• Treat yourself to nice things. Whether it is your favorite ice cream or a new sweater, try doing things for yourself.
• Volunteer. Helping others is one of the best ways to feel great.
• Avoid the news. The bad news on your television may be getting you down. Try taking a day or two to avoid it.
• Get out. Even if you can’t get on a plane tomorrow and fly to a new place, try to get out of your house. The change of scenery will make you feel better.
• Be accepting of things you can’t change. Not everything in the world can be fixed. Accept it and start working on the things you do have control over.
• Listen to music. An upbeat tune will instantly make you feel better.
• Face problems head on. Stop avoiding things. Once you start handling your issues—whether it’s mending a relationship or cleaning your room—you’ll be thankful you did.
• Smile. If you can’t be happy instantly, fake it until you make it. You’ll start believing your happy if you smile long enough.
Do you have any tips to share? Let’s keep this list going!